In 1998, a gas utility engineer attended a residential property in response to a reported gas emergency. Whilst attempting to gain access to a gas meter which was installed underneath the kitchen sink of the property, the engineer placed his hand on the sink and the emergency control valve.
Due to a fault on the property’s electrical installation, the engineer received a significant electric shock which – tragically – proved fatal.
Volt stick were then approached by the UK Gas Industry to develop a Non Contact Voltage Detector that would easily identify stray voltages above the UK Safety Threshold of 50 Volts in possibly Hazardous Areas.
We now produce the intrinsically Safe Volt Stick LV50 which is ATEX and IECEx Certified for use in Hazardous areas, it is used by every UK Gas Network Operator, including National Grid, Cadent Gas, and SGN.